Thursday, April 18, 2013

Bryan Singer Talks Use of CGI in ‘X-Men: Days of Future Past’, Plus What Other Mutants Could Return


2012-10-30-bryan_singer_x_men




There’s been a lot of speculation around X-Men: Days of Future Past in regards to the the future sequence in where actors and mutants from the first series of X-Men films are expected to collide with those of First Class. Director Bryan Singer is returning, having left the director’s chair to produce the series after X2, and with him comes Patrick Stewart, Ian McKellen, Hugh Jackman, Ellen Page, and possibly others. While out promoting his latest feature, Jack the Giant Slayer, Singer has been fielding questions about who else fans can expect to see make a return appearance as well as what his plans are for the use of CGI in the film.



On the possibility of Halle Berry‘s Storm returning, Singer said to MTV,


I can't say [whether Storm will be in the film]. I don't know yet. And it's not necessarily a deal making aspect at all. I want to make sure it'll make sense. But I love working with her.



He also mentioned to the Huffington Post it was the same situation in regards to Alan Cumming returning as Nightcrawler, which I’m completely okay with. Look, I’d love to see as many of the original mutants and their actors return as possible, but only if it serves the story. Often the X-Men films suffer under the burden of too many mutants, I don’t want to see them stuff everyone they can into Days of Future Past just to please fans.



Since Singer’s making the press rounds for Jack the Giant Slayer, a very CG-heavy film, he’s being asked about how he’d like to incorporate CGI into Days of Future Past. Obviously, X-Men films have utilized CGI in the past but with today’s ever improving technology more options are open. Here’s what Singer had to say,


A CG Nick Hoult or a CG Ewan McGregor, maybe 20 years from now might be perfect, but it's a little tough on the eyes when it's not real. I definitely want to use this technology again, and I might even be using some of it in a different way in X-Men. I don't want to say how, yet, but I'm definitely using some of this technology on X-Men, which I never used in any of the other X-Men films.



I think we can all agree we’ll see CG Sentinels, there’s no way it’d be cost effective to try and build those things for real. But could we see a fully CGI mutant? Perhaps with an actor using a motion capture suit? That’s a real possibility and it would allow them to include almost any mutant they fancy. But again, I stress that I don’t want Days of Future Past to suffer from the pitfall of too many mutants.



What do you guys think about actors and mutants from the previous films appearing in Days of Future Past? Who could be an option for an entirely CG mutant?



Souce: /Film


No comments:

Post a Comment