Sunday, October 28, 2012

Which Camera Should I Buy ?


 (Canon 5D, Canon T2i, Canon G9 and G10. )
This must be the question I hear the most and it is a complicated answer. Yes, you can sit there and breakdown the features, make a Powerpoint and logically come to a conclusion but like a lot of things in life, it may also come down to gut feeling. The way you like how one camera handle than other. This could be as simple as how you like where the manufacturer placed the buttons on the camera.
When I was in college, I used to work for a mall camera store. You can buy cameras, film and get your film develop in their one hour photo lab - it was more of a consumer store than professional store. We didn't carry high end cameras nor professional film - just prosumer films. It was my first experience in photography business - I did both sales and printing.
Here's what I would do when someone came in and asked about cameras. I asked what they would use it for, how often did they think they were gonna use it and other questions to get an idea of what they were looking for out of the camera.
More after the jump





To me, cameras are like soft drinks. Canon is Coke, Nikon is Pepsi, Sony is Mountain Dew, Olympus is Dr. Pepper, okay you get the idea. They all do the same job and the only difference is the flavor and taste.
Now, I love Coke and not really a fan of Pepsi. I can drink Pepsi if I have to but I really like the taste of Coke. I really love Canon ever since my dad gave me an old AE-1. Now I can use a Nikon and I've done so in the past, but I really like the taste of Canon ... uh I mean Coke !
So first thing first, figure out do you want a point & shoot or a DSLR (Digital Single Lens Reflex) ? With technology today you can get great photos with your cell phone so really, it comes down to the features. (And frankly, at this point I'm shooting with my phone more than my 5D at cons - my 5D doesn't do Facebook yet ^^)



My personal point & shoot cameras I have are the Canon G9 and Canon G10. I've bought both used from different people - Cragislist and all. My main reason for the G-series is they shoot in RAW format and I prefer RAW over JPEG. The plus side is they also do video which is for the most part, what I used to do my con videos. Every once in a while, I'll use a Rebel T2i which I bought last year. By the way, the Rebel T2i is a 18 megapixel camera which has far more megapixel than the camera I used to shoot the Cosplay in America book (more later). Funny enough, I used these cameras today for video than actually taking photos. For cons, I'm still using my EVO 4G phone.
Positives : Point & shoots are small enough to fit in your pocket - and if you are at a con, you may wanna carry as light as possible since you may be out all day or you may be buying tons of merchandise from dealer hall so you may not want to carry a heavy camera around. Point & shoots are definitely no brainers. Point and click. I would suggest avoid using flash unless you're in a dark area otherwise you get the "flash" look. You know the "I'm in the headlight" face.
Negatives : You have to really dig around the menu to really take advantage of some of the features which be easier to get to on a DSLR. Also harder to use in manual mode if you don't remember what buttons you have to push to adjust aperture and shuttle speed. Finally, not as much features as a full on DSLR.
For me, personally it is about how much less equipment I have to carry. I love these small point & shoots. I can stick it in my pocket (kinda) and they don't take up as much space as my DSLR.
Now if you got tired of fumbling through the different menus to do the manual on your point & shoot, I say you're ready to move into DSLR. My suggestion is get an entry level DSLR. It's a good starter camera and it won't kill your wallet as much as a higher end level camera.
Today I see a lot of higher end camera at cons. A lot ! I took a friend to a con recently. He has photography background but hadn't been to a con in like 6 years. Totally surprised at how many higher end cameras he saw. Another time, I remember seeing someone with a higher model than mine and I asked to see it. That person had no idea how to use the camera. All the settings were off and it made no sense so I fixed it. The ISO was pushed to 64,000 and the camera was set on automatic.
I'm not gonna stand here and say manual is the best (I still do automatic at times) but if you bought a camera and just to use for automatic mode, aren't you kinda wasting the potential of the equipment ? That person's camera and lens was worth about $4,000. I bet that person would be just fine with a $1,500 camera AND they would have $2,500 more to spend at a con, or go on vacation or whatever you wish !
Just because the camera is expensive doesn't make it better. At the end of the day, it is just a tool. Some tools have more features yes, but it is still the same as all the other tools out there. You buy that pencil with the special lead that comes from some Asia forest - and it'll do the same job as that tiny IKEA pencil stub they have. 
Which leads me to this rant : why do people always say you got a nice camera, it must take great pictures ? I don't go into a kitchen and tell the cook, hey, nice stove - I bet it cooks great dinners ! It annoys me because that camera is a tool. Your eye is what makes a difference. Now with all beginners, your eye is gonna be terrible at first. My first photos I took as a teenager were crap. The photos I took in college were crap. I got better with time. So don't expect the camera to make you a photographer overnight. It takes years of practice and this depends on how much you wanna put into it. If you just want to learn to take photos a bit better, then fine. You don't need to spend years on it. If you want to be an expert, then fine, spend as long as you need to feel you accomplished what you want to do. At the end of the day, a camera is just a tool. /rant.
I used to work in camera sales and I know it is generally accepted to push the latest, greatest (and more revenue making cameras). There used to be a kickback program if you sold a specific brand of camera, you get money. I wasn't sure if this was done via the manufacturer or the camera store in question, but I do remember one salesman boosting to me he bought a nice living room furniture set with the kickbacks he got. I'm not gonna say every sales person is like this but do take it with a grain of salt.
With the internet now days you can get as much information as possible. You can watch YouTube for unboxing or walk-throughs. It is essentially easier than ever to figure out what you want BUT at the end of the day, you wanna get your hands on a camera and try it out. It's like testing driving a car. You should test drive a camera if possible.
For some of y'all, this is a possibility. You can go to local camera shops and ask if they do rent equipment. The selection depends on the store but in most case they'll carry the entry level as well as advance models. You can also rent online from places such as BorrowLens too. Renting a camera gives you a chance to take it out and play with it for a day or so. Check to see if they do weekend rates. Usually, if you pick up Friday afternoon and return Monday morning, it is consider a one-day rental though you have it for two days. Some stores do this, some don't. By the way, they may also rent backdrops, lights, and other photo equipment too.
I suggest renting for a day just so you can get a feel of the camera and decided if you like to get that model or not.
One more thing - if you do not need the latest model, don't get it. Just like cars, you could save some change from buying used. The G-series point & shoot I own are usually $500-$600 brand new. I bought them used closer to $200. If you don't feel comfortable buying used on Ebay or Craigslist, check out your local camera store. Often they will sell used equipment and usually have their own warranty to boot !



The camera I currently own is the Canon 5D (the original) which I bought in 2005. For years I would keep buying the different models - the 10D, 20D, 30D, but the 5D is the model I've kept the longest. The stats are not as impressive as when it first came out. The original model had 12.8 megapixel and right now it is 7 years old.  The book Cosplay in America was shot on this camera and if you ever flip through the book, you can see the images look amazing. I really just need 8 megapixel to get the decent size for the book so yes, I could have used a Canon 20D and still get a decent photo out of it.

Oh, you don't have to stick to Canon and Nikon. People may say professionals use it all the time but I do know one photographer Matthew Jordan Smith who uses Sony cameras to photograph folks such as Halle Berry, Jamie Fox, Oprah and more. You probably seen his work, he does the Wells Fargo print campaign too. I knew of him professionally for years and had the pleasure of meeting him at my book release party years ago when he bought a copy of my book. I love the fact he uses a Sony for his work. 

So remember, just because it is the latest and greatest, doesn't make
it the best for you. It is up to each of you to figure out what you want out of the camera and get one that is best suited for you. Do you need to capture sporting events and fast action ? A DSLR is probably better suited for you. Are you more likely to just pull out a camera and grab a quick shot - a point & shoot might be better for you. Are you planning to shoot in really low light situations ? Check to make sure your camera can do that.

I hope that answers some questions but if you do have questions, leave in the comment and I'll do my best to answer it.








No comments:

Post a Comment