Friday, October 26, 2012

More on ‘The Wolverine’ with Director James Mangold





After the somewhat startling revelation The Wolverine would be a sequel to X3: The Last Stand, not a direct sequel but still occurring within the same cinematic universe, director James Mangold had more to say in his recent interview with Empire magazine. He talked mostly about what the tone of The Wolverine would be – it’s dark – and how it’ll be fundamentally different from all the other Marvel films – remember, keyword dark.


It’s rooted in drama. Effectively almost every superhero film, in a sense, revolves around some large group of humanity that’s either killed or held hostage while superheroes battle it out with supervillains. The essential driving forces of this movie are interpersonal and dramatic, about love, bitterness, loss, vengeance, redemption, depression, suicide, conquering inner demons – it’s going to make it a very different film than people have seen.



Knowing how things went down for Logan at the end of X3 I’m not too surprised he’s feelin’ pretty low. So why would he choose to visit Japan to relax and regroup?


The cultural qualities that Japan and its people bring – honour, a sense of duty, of conflict – really fit beautifully around Logan. Our film find Logan at a point where he’s very much a ronin – a samurai without a master. Anyone he ever had a connection to is either dead or gone.



The Wolverine is going to be Logan as the lone wolf, or at least that’s the vibe I’m getting. And I’m cool with all of this as long as it washes away that bad taste leftover from Wolverine: Origins. Hugh Jackman has already assured fans all will be made right with this flick and I believe him.



Mangold wants this film to be realistic and grounded, and has shied away from grand CGI effects,


When I say realistic, what I mean is that it’s not built on 70-foot lizards from outer space. Our goal is to try to be a little less super-CG and wires, and a little more hardcore. I want the film to feel analogue. You always have large-scale action and adventure – it wouldn’t be a movie about gods if you didn’t have epic physicality. But we all feel we’re making a Japanese noir picture with tentpole action in it.



I don’t know about you guys, but I’m stoked for The Wolverine. I like what I’m hearing. I like that it’ll be grounded in reality with more practical effects over CGI. I like that it’ll focus more on Logan’s personal journey rather than some big, contrived superhero plot. I think it’s exactly what we need post-Origins. How are you guys feeling about this movie? Is it coming together how you imagined?



Source: Comic Book Movie


No comments:

Post a Comment