Sunday, December 22, 2013

Marty O Talks Inspirations for Reach Soundtrack



It took another 2 whole Halo games before a Spartan could actually carry such a gun!


Game Informer has done a interview with Bungie's Marty O'Donnell who is in charge of music and voice acting for Halo Reach. Let's face it, without Halo's music, Halo would not have got as far as it has.


Can you go into detail on the creation of the theme from the Halo: Reach trailer that debuted on the 2009 Video Game Awards?

It's hard for me to anticipate what's going to be the main theme for Reach. Certainly
the trailer we just released has a really important theme in it. My approach was I knew I wanted something that was more visceral. I hate using the term "darker and grittier" because it's so overused, but I wanted something that just really gave you both the feeling of something that's hitting you in the gut and "this is really an important thing" and also there's this sense of mission but tragedy that's about to happen.

I've had different sort of instruments stand out over the years in different Halo games. There's something so timeless about strings and French horns and I love low strings and percussion, so I don't want to walk away from that. But at this point I haven't chosen some exotic instrument that's going to be the lead instrument for the game. I'm not sure if I'm going to do that. It's a character driven game. I still think my approach will be to have themes that score the events and emotions of the game at the time, and not necessarily the Peter and the Wolf approach where this is this guy's theme and this is this other person's theme. It's going to be more, "This is what's happening to this group of people. This is what's happening to you while you're playing."



Here's the full interview


Extra for Experts:


Check out this video for when Halo was first introduced the to the world buy Steve Jobs when Bungie was all about the Apple Mac. The music sounds familiar....






No comments:

Post a Comment