Wednesday, November 26, 2014

J.J. Abrams Finally Admits to His Lens Flare Addiction


star-trek-lens-flare




J.J. Abrams. Lens flare. You already know where the joke is going. The man likes his lens flare, so much so it literally litters every one of his films, and none more than Star Trek and its sequel, Star Trek Into Darkness. While promoting the Blu-ray release of the latter, Crave Online was able to stick to Abrams about the lens flare, and his response may surprise you,





I know I get a lot of grief for that, but I'll tell you, there are times when I'm working on a shot, I think, 'Oh this would be really cool... with a lens flare.' But I know it's too much, and I apologize. I'm so aware of it now. I was showing my wife an early cut of Star Trek Into Darkness and there was this one scene where she was literally like, 'I just can't see what's going on. I don't understand what that is.' I was like, 'Yeah, I went too nuts on this.'



This is how stupid it was, I actually had to use ILM [Industrial Light & Magic] to remove lens flare in a couple of shots, which is, I know, moronic. But I think admitting you're an addict is the first step towards recovery.



The first step is admitting you have a problem. Most of us can usually skip the 'have ILM remove all evidence of your fixation' step , but y'know. Hey, at least he apologized, and with Abrams not returning to direct Star Trek 3 I expect we'll see less and less lens flare in the future of the franchise.



But man, can you imagine what Into Darkness looked like before ILM removed some flare?



lens-flare-everywhere




Yikes!



Source: Crave Online via Nerd Approved


No comments:

Post a Comment